Monday, August 12, 2013

Current Favorites: Makeup edition

I'm not a makeup expert.  I've never claimed to be a makeup expert.  What I am, is a makeup junkie who loves trying new products.  I sometimes joke that if I spent as much time working out as I do watching YouTube makeup tutorials, I'd be a size 0! I could watch tutorials and product reviews all day. At the end of this blog, I'll attach a link to some of my favorite YouTube beauty gurus, so you can check them out. 

Over the past year and a half, I have probably tripled my makeup collection.  I realize it is obscene to have five different foundations, and a drawer full of eyeshadow palettes, but I do. Some people do drugs, I do makeup.  Anyway, over this last year and a half, I've tried so many different products, from so many different brands.  I love both high end and low end (drugstore) makeup.  I definitely have more drugstore products than anything, because I am a poor hair stylist, after all! However, I do splurge on the fancy stuff every now and then. 

I rummaged through my makeup collection to pick a few of my VERY favorites to share with you.  I could probably go on for days, but I'll keep it short and sweet.

1. L'Oreal True Match Lumi Foundation

This is my favorite foundation EVER! And the fact that it's under $10 is just the icing on the cake. Not only does this give great coverage, but it's so hydrating.  My skin is dry as the desert, and this foundation gives it an almost dewy finish.  It's a very thin consistency, but I have found that when you are on the dry side, the runnier the better.  I apply this with my Tarte foundation brush.   Using the brush really gives it a flawless, airbrushed finish.  I can't speak for how this foundation would work for an oily person, but if you are normal to dry, this is definitely worth a try!

2. Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Treatment Concealer in 'Brightener'

I can't say enough good things about this concealer! Let me start by saying that this is an under eye concealer, not a spot concealer.  I normally apply this in a V shape under my eyes, after I've put on my foundation.  The 'brightener' shade really wakes up the under eye area, and just makes it appear as if I've had a great night of sleep :) There are several shades in this concealer line, but the 'brightener' shade has a pinkish tint to it, which counteracts the blueish/green shadow under my eyes. The only thing I don't like about this is the sponge applicator, so I normally remove it, and use my fingers to apply the product.  The price tag on this one is around $7. 

3. Ulta Beauty Sponge

I use this sponge to blend in my under eye concealer.  I use the pointed end to get in really close to my tear duct. I lightly tap the concealer in with the sponge, until it disappears. I find that this blends concealer in better than my fingers, or any brush I've ever used.  I've also heard that these are great for applying foundation, but I love my Tarte brush so much, I've never tried. I purchased mine at Ulta for around $5, but these are popping up everywhere, and though they may be shaped a bit different, they all seem to work the same way. 

4. Cover Girl Jumbo Gloss Balms
I am not normally a fan of crayon lipsticks, because they tend to be very drying, but let me tell you, these are the exact opposite! They are so hydrating, it's almost like putting on chapstick.  The color payoff is AWESOME! Nothing makes me madder than when I buy a lip product that looks awesome in the tube, and then ends up totally sheer on my lips. So far, I've used a hot pink shade, and a true red, and they both give amazing color.  They're also very long wearing (as long as you're not doing lots of eating, drinking, or kissing).  These sell for around $8, and I can't wait to add to my collection!

5. Mary Kay Lash Love Mascara in I <3 Black


I will never use another mascara. Period. I will admit, paying $16 for mascara hurt my heart a little bit, but it was worth every penny.  I have pathetic little lashes, and this mascara gives them so much length and volume.  The formula is great, and the brush has the tiniest little bristles, which makes it possible to get to the base of every little lash.  This brush is also great for getting those tiny bottom lashes that are so hard to see.  I've used both the regular, and the waterproof, and they are equally wonderful. 

Now that I've shared with you some of my favorite makeup products of the moment, I will share with you some of my favorite YouTube channels.  I've learned so much about makeup and techniques for applying makeup by watching these women.  Next time you have some downtime, watch a video or two.  I promise you'll be as amazed as I am by their talent!

http://www.youtube.com/jaclynhill1

http://www.youtube.com/pixiwoo


Once again, thank you for taking the time to read my blog, and I hope you've enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment