Wednesday, August 7, 2013

All about the 'blowout'

For those of you who are a bit confused by the title of this post, no, I'm not talking about a tire blowout, or even a sports game that ends badly.  I'm referring to the service popping up in salons everywhere known as a 'blowout'.  Basically what this entails is having your hair shampooed, blow dried with a round brush, and you're done; no flat irons or curling irons necessary.  Sounds like nothing unusual, but when done by a professional, a blowout can last up to three days (unless you wash your hair, that is).  As a stylist, there's nothing I love more than the way my client's hair looks, feels, and moves after I've blown them dry with my round brushes.  By overdirecting the hair, and using the concentrator on the blow dryer, it not only gives the hair lots of volume, but it also smoothes the midlengths and ends out so beautifully.  Unfortunately, blow drying your whole head of hair with a round brush on your own is very difficult, not to mention tedious.  However, if you want to a little bit of volume in front, and in your crown area a round brush is quite easy to use in those spots.  I use a set of roundbrushes I've had since beauty school, but they are super easy to find.  Sally Beauty Supply carries a wide variety, and I believe Walmart does too.  Next time you have a wedding to go to, or maybe just a hot date ;), schedule yourself a blowout, and I promise you will not be disappointed with how you look!  Most high end salons in this area charge between $30 and $40, but for any of my clients reading this, I charge $15 to $20 depending on length and thickness of the hair.  Also, blowouts can be done on short, medium, and long hair, so don't think that just because you don't have hair down your back means you can't get in on the fun! Below are some examples of what a salon blowout should look like ....
This stylist is using the same round brush I use on my clients, and notice the concentrator on the end of the dryer.
 
 
 
Here's a link to a line of round brushes very similar to what I use. Of course, the shorter your hair, the smaller the brush you'll want to use, and if your hair is fairly long (as in the first and last pictures), a large round brush is best.
 
I would not recommend a brush with boar bristles like this  , as it is easy to get it stuck in your hair if you're not careful!
 
I hope you found this post helpful, and that maybe you will pamper yourself by going to the salon for a blowout very soon!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment