Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Reviews of my recent makeup purchases

At least once a month, I tell myself  'no more makeup for a while', and then within a few days, I find myself buying more.  I realize I have a problem, but at least I'm not gambling, or buying expensive jewelry, right? Anything to justify it ;) So I thought I'd do something a little different for this post.  I'm going to show you a few of the things I purchased over the past month or so, and then tell you whether I loved them, hated them, etc.  So, lets get right into it...

Face Products

Milani Baked Bronzer:  I bought this after reading a makeup artist's blog (I'll attach the link below).  She was saying how much she loved them, and that they were a great product for the price. So, of course, I went to CVS within two days to get my hands on one.  I chose the medium toned bronzer with flecks of gold in the color 'soleil'.  Although this is beautiful in the packaging, I felt it was way too shimmery for me.  I tend to gravitate towards matte bronzers, because I feel like shimmer can draw the wrong kind of attention to our fine lines and wrinkles. If you're someone who likes a bit of sparkle, you might love this product.  As far as pigment and quality goes, it's great for the price (around $9), but I just didn't love the shimmer. I don't see myself repurchasing this one.

Milani Baked Blush in 'Luminoso' :  LOVE LOVE LOVE! I can't say enough about this blush.  It's the perfect shade of peachy pink! The color payoff is great, and it just gives the prettiest pop of color without being too much.  This was around $8, and I have a feeling it will become an every day staple in my makeup routine.  I find Milani makeup at CVS, or you can order it here. 
Left:Milani baked blush in luminoso  Right: Milani baked bronzer in soleil
 
 
Eye Products
 
Maybelline Eye Studio Limited Edition Quad in 'Violet Femmes' : I picked this up because I've been really into purples lately.  I love an eye shadow palette that comes with all the colors you need to create a look. It comes with a light champaigny pink, a purplish taupe, a deep maroon purple, and an even deeper brownish purple.  After getting home and swatching the colors, I was even more excited, because they seemed so soft and pigmented.  I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed.  They don't blend out as well as some of my higher end, or Wet n' Wild shadows do.  I've noticed they also crease horribly! I use an eye primer every day, and it's very rare that I see any creasing, even after twelve hours of wear, so maybe this was a total fluke, but either way, I'm not 100% in love with these shadows. 
 

Rimmel ScandalEyes Eye Kohl:  I love these eye pencils! I've had the black one for quite a while, so recently I decided to pick one up in the color 'nude' for when I want to give my eyes that bright and awake look. I use these on my water line, and they are so rich and pigmented.  You barely have to use any pressure when applying these, because they just glide on so easily.  The only thing I will say is that because they are SO creamy, if you wear contacts, you may experience a little bit of transfer, so go easy with them at first.  The black pencil is easily the blackest black I've ever used, so if you like an intense, dark smokey eye, you will love it! These were under $5 from the drugstore.

 
 NYX HD Photogenic Concealer: If you've never heard of NYX products, you are missing out! This is a brand that I normally purchase at Ulta, but now, Target has started to carry it.  I would say the best way to describe this brand is high end quality at drugstore prices.  They have a HUGE variety of products, so if you'd like to browse, go to their website.  I bought this concealer in the shade 'porcelain' for my under eye area.  This is the lightest shade in the line, but I love it for highlighting my undereye area.  If you like the Kardashian look with very bold highlight and contouring, this concealer is a must.  A little bit goes a long way, and it blends out easily.  The formula is a bit drying to me, so make sure you've used a moisturizer prior to applying it. I bought this for around $9 at Ulta.
 
 
Red Cherry Lashes in #43: I'm a huge fan of false lashes, especially now that I know how to put them on correctly.  My favorite YouTuber, Jaclyn Hill, raves about these lashes, and of course they look stunning on her, so I ordered a pack of 8 pair from Amazon.  They've just been sitting in my makeup station waiting to be worn for the right occasion. I went out Saturday night, so I thought, now's the time! I was super bummed because although they are great quality, and very easy to apply, they were way too big for my eyes! I noticed in the packaging that they looked a little large, but I thought maybe once they were on my eyes, they would look okay.  Don't get me wrong, these lashes are incredible, but if you're someone with small eyes, or someone who likes a modest false lash, these are not the ones for you! I'm planning to do a post all about false lashes, so I'll tell you a few of my favorites when that time comes :)

 
 Lip Products
Wet n' Wild Lipstick in 'Dollhouse pink': This was another product I was prompted to buy from reading my favorite makeup blog.  This lipstick was $1.98, so I really had no reason not to try it.  This lipstick is matte, which scared me a bit, because matte tends to mean 'drying' on my lips.  To my pleasant surprise, this wasn't drying at all, and the color lasted all day, even after eating and drinking.  The color I chose is a bit bold, but I was in the mood to live on the edge ;)  There are several shades that are much more toned down, but for under $2, I recommend you all go out and buy a few different shades!
 
MAC Cream Sheen lipstick in Creme Cup: This was definitely a splurge for me! A $15 lipstick is not something I normally even consider, but again, I had heard so many great things about this particular color that I couldn't resist.  It truly lives up to all the hype.  It's the perfect mix of baby pink and nude.  This is a great lip color to pair with a smokey eye, because it gives just enough color, but not so much that it looks like your lips are trying to compete with your eyes. As odd as it sounds, this lipstick SMELLS awesome.  I don't know if it's a vanilla scent, or what, but everytime i take the cap off, I have to smell it ;) This is definitely my favorite lip color of the moment, and I think everyone should have this, or one like it, in their collection.
 
 
 
NYX Butter Gloss in 'Eclair': This is the best lip gloss I've used in a long time. Not only is it not sticky, but it also gives the lips moisture.  I wear this alone, or, most often, over the top of my MAC creme cup.  They are a perfect pair! These sell for around $5, and come in several different shades.
 
 

 Brushes
Sigma F80 Flat Top Kabuki: I've been wanting to order this brush for at least six months, but I kept telling myself I didn't need it. Well, I had some cashback bonus just sitting on my Discover card, so I bit the bullet, and ordered it.  It has been a love affair every since.  I use this to apply my liquid foundation.  It gives the skin an airbrushed, flawless effect. Sigma is a relatively new brand, and from what I read and see on YouTube, their brushes are a cheaper alternative to MAC. So far, this is the only brush in their collection that I own, but there are  few others I've been itching to get.  This brush is $18, which is on the pricy side of things, but when you consider buying one from MAC or Bobbi Brown in the $40 range, $18 really isn't so bad! You can order the brush here. Also, if you enter WELCOME10OFF at checkout, you'll receive 10% off your order!
 
 
 
I hope you've enjoyed these reviews, and once again, thank you so much for stopping by my blog. Have a beautiful day! 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment