Monday, September 23, 2013

Tips for a great consultation with your stylist

The single most important part of any hair appointment is the consultation. Many stylists, myself included, are guilty of rushing through this part of the appointment, and that can sometimes lead to disastrous results. Since I've been on both sides of the chair, I thought I'd share with you some tips that help make a consultation successful.

First things first, bring pictures!  I've heard a few stylists say they hate pictures, because they're always unattainable goals, but I beg to differ. I LOVE when a client sits down in my chair and says 'I have a few pictures'. The reason being, I can actually visualize what they're trying to tell me. I've had clients say, 'I want a chocolate brown, but not too dark'. Now in my head, I've got an idea of what I think that means, however, it could be completely different from what the client is imagining. Pictures are also great when you've got a new cut in mind.  Describing a cut is difficult for me as a professional, so I can't imagine it would be easy as a client, unless you're simply asking for long layers with face framing. Now your stylist may take one look at the picture and tell you it's not possible in one appointment, or that it would not flatter your face shape, so be prepared to hear some feedback.  I also love when clients bring picture examples of what they DON'T want.  Sometimes that's even more helpful than a picture of what they do want. Be sure to tell your stylist what it is you like about the picture, and if there's anything you don't like about it (i.e., the bangs are too short, too long, etc) be sure to mention that too.

Secondly, don't be shy.  If you have a stylist who is suggesting something totally crazy, and out of your comfort zone, and you know you really don't want to do it, speak up! Chances are, your stylist will be happy you said something before he or she starts the process.  Let me tell you, I'd much rather hear a 'no, I don't think I'd like that', than a 'I hate it', at the end of the appointment.  At the end of the day, you are the client who is paying for the service, so don't agree to anything you don't feel good about! Also, if your stylist says 'are we just doing the same thing as last time?', don't be afraid to say no if you want a change!

Third, if you are someone who sits down in the chair and says 'Do whatever you want!', then be prepared for anything! On one hand, we as stylists love this, because it gives us total freedom, but on the other hand, it's terrifying, because sometimes those same people say things like 'well, I didn't really want it to have red in it' once you've finished the color service. If you are truly up for anything, thats awesome, but if by anything, you just mean any shade of brown, then be specific with your stylist and let him or her know that.

Another great topic to discuss during the consultation is how much time and effort you're planning to put into styling your hair on a daily basis. While that super edgy sasymmetrical bob looks adorable in the picture, it may require more styling time than you're willing to put in.  I hear from a lot of clients that they want a style where they can 'just wash and go', so that tells me right off that they're not going to be up at 6 a.m every morning giving themselves a round brush blow out! Telling your stylist these things helps them decide what kind of cut would be best for you. 

If you feel like no matter what you tell your stylist, you always end up with the same old thing, then maybe it's time to give another stylist a try!  Sometimes a fresh pair of eyes sees things totally different, and a different stylist might be able to better understand what your vision is. If you're wanting to switch stylists, but stay loyal to one salon, ask your hair guy or girl how they would feel if you tried one of their fellow stylists for a change.  Most stylists would be totally fine with that, and while asking is not necessary, it stops you from having to have that awkward moment where they see your name on someone else's schedule!


One last little tidbit...being on time for your appointment is key for having a great consultation! The first five to ten minutes are usually when the consultation takes place, so if you show up a few minutes late, that tends to get bypassed so the stylist can stay on time.

Like everyone says, 'its just hair', but wouldn't we all like to leave the salon with 'just GOOD hair'?

Thanks for stopping by.  Have a beautiful day!


No comments:

Post a Comment