Monday, September 30, 2013

My must have makeup brushes

The single most important factor in how your makeup looks is the tools you use to apply it with.  Now, I'm not saying you can't apply your makeup with your good ol' fashioned hands, I'm just saying that sometimes crappy makeup can look incredible when applied with great brushes! Although I've got a drawer full of brushes, there are a few that really stand out above the rest, and I find myself reaching for them pretty much every day. Here are my go-to, can't live without (okay, I can live without them, I just don't want to), holy grail brushes...

For applying my foundation, there are three brushes that I rotate between, depending on which one is dirty, what kind of coverage I want, etc.


1. Tarte Buffer Airbrush finish brush ($32) : This is a bit expensive, but totally worth it.  The bristles are very thick and dense, and it really distributes liquid foundation evenly to give it a flawless finish.  You can purchase one here.

2. Sigma F80 Flat Kabuki ($21):  This brush is huge in the YouTube community.  This is similar to the tarte brush, but instead of a rounded top, this one is flat.  It's also quite a bit smaller, so for those of you who are like me and have a narrow forehead, this is easier to use, and doesn't get any foundation in the hairline. You can order one here. Also, if you enter 'WELCOME10OFF' at checkout, you will receive 10% off your order!

3. Real Techniques Buffing Brush ($18 set): This is the first buffing brush I ever used, and it still holds a special place in my heart! What I love about this brush is that it is just as high quality as the other two, but for a much smaller price tag.  I would say this brush, and the Sigma F80 are almost identical, aside from one being slightly flatter. This gives liquid foundation an airbrushed look after you've buffed it in.  This brush does come as part of a set, but can probably be purchased on its own.  I would recommend spending the $18 to get the whole set, because the other three brushes are great as well. In fact, I will be mentioning another one from the set in just a minute! Buy it here.



For an all over face powder, or when I want to do a heavy bronzer, I use this brush
Real Techniques Powder Brush ($10):  I don't even know what to say about this brush other than how amazing it is.  It applies powder products so evenly, and the bristles are soft and flexible. I typically use this for bronzer when I'm not contouring. Purchase one here.

When highlighting, my favorite brush to use is this one

Real Techniques Contour Brush ($18 Set): Although this would be great for contouring with a bronzer, I find that I like it most for applying a powder highlight on top of the cheekbones, down the nose, and above the cupid's bow. This brush is included in the four brush set with the buffing brush I mentioned earlier.  Purchase the set here. I truly can't say enough great things about the Real Techniques brand.  They are such high quality brushes, but at much more affordable prices! If you are someone who doesn't really have any brushes, and want to start a collection, I recommend anything from this brand!

For applying my powder blush, I ALWAYS use this brush
 
Elf Powder Brush ($3): Although this is marketed as a powder brush, and I'm sure it's great for that, I like it best for applying my blush.  I use this to stipple the color on my cheeks, which gives it a more sheered out look, and less of an over powering 'rouge' look. You can buy this in stores like K-Mart, Target, Walmart, or here. 
 
For contouring my cheekbones and hairline, I use this brush
 
Elf Angled Blush brush ($3): The angle on this brush makes it great for applying bronzer to the hollows of the cheeks to give a chiseled, contoured look. Can be found at Walmart, K-Mart, Target and here.
 
 
For eye shadow, these are my four favorite brushes...

 
1. Sonia Kashuk pointed blending brush ($4) : I just recently bought this brush, and I have been using it almost every day to apply my transition shade above my crease. It's fluffy and great for blending out color. Sonia Kashuk brushes are available exclusively at Target.
 
2. TIGI blending brush:  I bought this brush a couple years ago from my beauty supply store, so I honestly have no idea how much it sells for, but it's my favorite brush for blending out my completed look.  Once I've done all of my shadow, I use this brush to go back through and blend out any harsh lines. Purchase one here.
 
3. ELF Essential shadow brush ($1): Yes, this brush is only a dollar! This applies color to my lids better than any of my expensive brushes.  This is flat and dense, which is perfect for patting color on the lids. At only $1, I have about five of these in my makeup drawer! Purchase one here.
 
4. ELF Essential Smudge brush ($1):  I use this brush to apply my brow highlight.  The bristles are very short, so it picks up very little product.  I usually dip it into my brow highlight color, and lightly tap it under my brow bone. Purchase one here.
 
When using my gel eyeliner, my favorite brush to apply it with is this one
Elf Small Angled Brush ($3): the angled bristles are perfect for doing a wing with gel liner. Purchase one here.
 
Although this is not technically a brush, it is a tool that's on my must have list for applying concealer
 

 
 Ulta Super Blender Sponge ($5):  I use the pointed end of this sponge to apply my under eye concealer every day.  Aside from my finger tips, this is the best way to blend in concealer without just pushing it around the eye. Any brand of beauty sponge will work, I just happened to pick mine up at Ulta. The other end is great for blending foundation, or applying cream blush!   Purchase this exact one here.
 
Last but not least, and I forgot to take a picture of my own personal brush, is my favorite translucent under eye setting powder brush from Elf.  It applies my setting powder perfectly, and I don't know how I ever lived without it. For $3, it's a steal!
 
 
Thanks for stopping by the A List!  Have a beautiful day.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment