Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Current favorites: hair and skin edition

Since my last few posts have been strictly makeup related, I thought I'd switch it up and talk to you abaout some of my recent favorite products for the hair and skin. Some of them may even be sitting in your kitchen as we speak...

Skin

1. Coconut Oil - I've been hearing people rave about Coconut oil on pinterest for a long time, so I finally decided to pick some up about a month ago. I bought mine from Walmart, and I paid around $8 for a pretty big jar.  Now most of the articles I read were saying what a great hair masque coconut oil is, but I found that I did not really like it for that purpose. I used it on my hair once, and found that it was really difficult getting it all to rinse out.  It left a bit of a film on my hair, and made it feel greasy.  However, what I do love it for is removing makeup, and as a body lotion.  I keep the jar in my shower, which helps it to stay somewhat soft.  When removing my makeup, I scoop out a small amount, rub it between my hands until it feels very slick and then massage it into my face.  It takes off every shred of makeup I have on, and leaves my skin feeling so soft.  Just like with using it in the hair, you really have to work to rinse it all off. Sometimes I leave some of it still on, just for added moisture.  I also love using it in place of lotion after I'm out of the shower.  It gives my skin so much moisture, and a little bit goes a long way.  For those of you who don't like scented lotions, or are very sensitive to smells, this would be great, because it has virtually no scent.  And after a month, I'm not even a quarter of the way through my jar, so you will definitely get your $8 worth!

2. Organic Sugar- I was watching a YouTube video a while back, and the person in the video said she exfoliated using organic sugar from the grocery store, because it was much cheaper than buying an actual 'skin exfoliater' . Even though I love to shop, I'm all about cutting costs where I can, so I thought that sounded like a great idea.  I went to Walmart and picked up a bag of organic sugar from the baking aisle, and $7 later, I'm glad I did.  Not only is the bag cheap, it's quite large, and does just as good of a job as the $15 products I've purchased in the past.  I usually put a small amount in a cup, and then take that into the shower on nights when I know I'm going to exfoliate. I grab a handfull, and just rub it into my skin until I feel like it's done it's job.  If you're someone who does a lot of spray tanning, or self tanning, exfoliating is a must, in order to prep the skin, and also when you are trying to remove the leftover spray tan after it's faded.  So next time you're thinking about buying an expensive scrub, try plain 'ol organic sugar first!
3. Fake Bake Flawless Self Tanning Liquid- Since we're on the topic of tanning, I had to mention this product.  I bought this about two weeks ago, and I was instantly impressed.  I'm not normally one to self tan, because in my high school days, I had some very bad experiences with it.  Let me just say, this is not the streaky lotion from the olden days!  This comes with a bottle with a spray pump, rubber gloves, and a buffing mit.  I think the mit is what really makes this product great.  The mit makes it so that the tanning solution is buffed in completely, leaving behind no globs, or streaks.  Also, layering the rubber gloves under the mit make sure that there will be no orange hands when you're all done.  This product would be great for those of you who spray tan often, but feel you need something to extend the life of your tan, or for those of you who prefer not to spray tan, and just want something to give you some color.  The process is simple; you spray a few pumps in the area you're working on, gently buff it in with the mit, and wait a few minutes for it to dry.  Just like spray tanning, though, you need to wait at least six hours before showering.  This gives the solution time to really absorb into the skin.  If you get wet, sweat, or rub against something, it will run or transfer, so I find that doing it right before bed is the best.  The one downside to this is that it's very hard to get your own back, so maybe ask a friend, relative, husband, etc. to help you apply it :)  This sells for around $20, and will give you several full body applications.


 
 


4. Philisophy Purity One Step Facial cleanser:  This is a product I've had a sample of for months, and never thought about using it, because my skin is so dry.  I had myself convinced that a cleanser for 'normal' skin would definitely be too harsh for me.  Turns out, I was wrong.  I have found myself using this every night before bed, because I love how clean it makes my face feel.  This cleanser is gentle, yet very effective at removing any dirt, makeup, or impurities. If you're on the dry side, this will definitely make you feel like you need moisturizer ASAP, but not so tight that it feels like your face is burning.  It's also gentle enough to be used around the eye area.  It takes off nearly all of my eye makeup, and Lord knows I like to layer that on!  Philosophy products are a bit pricey, but the bottle is huge, and it will last for several months. A full size bottle retails for $22.  My tiny little sample bottle has given me at least ten washes already, and it's just now half gone.  A little goes a long way, which I like.
 
Hair
 
Healthy Sexy Hair Soy Renewal with Argan Oil:  That name is a bit of a mouthful, huh?  I truly can't say enough about this product.  It has changed my life, both as a stylist, and a person with hair ;)  The product's description is as follows:  'Adds instant shine and protection, controls frizz, boosts moisture, increases elasticity, helps smooth hair, protects against environmental damage.'  It also claims to reduce drying time, and in my experience, it does.  I've been using this on almost every client with long hair, thick hair, curly hair, dry hair, damaged hair, etc.  It not only adds a protective barrier for heat, it also helps detangle the hair almost instantly.  The smell is phenomenal, and I will go so far as to say I think it blows Moroccan Oil out of the water (not to mention its much less expensive).  I have very coarse, dry hair, and I like to put about a nickel size amount through my wet hair.  The softness and shine it adds is amazing!  Don't let the picture below confuse you, the bottle is normally turquoise and brown.  This is a limited edition breast cancer pink bottle.  This sells for around $16.
 
 
I hope you've enjoyed reading about some of my favorite things, and I hope you'll give them a try!  Thanks again for stopping by my blog.  Have a beautiful day! 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment